[kictanet] Open Data - Where does it sit?

Paul Kukubo pkukubo at ict.go.ke
Fri Jul 15 08:08:24 EAT 2011

Listers

Ŵe shall be tracking usage of this portal to understand Wananchi interest.

We shall continue working with the developer teams to create
information and citizen products. Some ideas that have been proposed
are very novel and indeed some require financial support to
operationalise. Next week the ICT Board will be announcing phase 2 of
the Tandaa grants program which we delayed to enable this project to
be launched. The government component of the grants will tie projects
to open data.  We shall repeat what we did last year in going around
the country on sensitization on the same. Indeed we may find a
proposal to localize the data as one likely proposal for grants. We
never know.

On November 1 the ICT Board will commence the incubation project and
without preempting the likely candidates, some of them may well be in
this area. I visited the MBlab (established earlier this year by
university of Nairobi Ihub and World Bank) some of the ideas being
incubated there will blow one's mind. The fact that Kenya is a leader
in mobile innovation is not an overstatement. And the excitement in
the dev community about open data is real.

I was on k24 TV earlier today and the issues from callers had to do
with getting citizen engagement. We are planning more such programs to
take this to the public.

Regards

Paul kukubo
CEO, Kenya ICT Board
Tweeter: @pkukubo

On Thursday, July 14, 2011, Ali Hussein <info at alyhussein.com> wrote:
> Aki
>
> Let's meet at IGF or a coffee off line? I take it upon myself to convince you of otherwise. Will you oblige? :)
>
> Regards
>
> Ali Hussein - Sent from my BlackBerry®

Paul Kukubo
Chief Executive Officer, Kenya ICT Board
PO Box 27150 - 00100
Nairobi, Kenya

12th Floor, Teleposta Towers Koinange Street

Tel +254 20 2089061, +254 20 2211960
Fax: +254 20 2211962
website: www.ict.go.ke
local content project: www.tandaa.co.ke, www.facebook.com/tandaakenya
twitter:@tandaaKENYA
BPO Project: www. doitinkenya.co.ke
Digital Villages Project: www.pasha.co.ke

personal contacts
_______________

Cell: + 254 717 180001

skype: kukubopaul
googletalk: pkukubo
personal blog: www.paulkukubo.co.ke
personal twitter: @pkukubo

Vision: Kenya becomes a top ten global ICT hub

Mission: To champion and actively enable Kenya to adopt and exploit ICT,
through promotion of partnerships, investments and infrastructure growth for
socio economic enrichment