[kictanet] Fwd: Open Data - Where does it sit?-end of thread?

Michuki Mwangi michuki.mwangi at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 14:37:20 EAT 2011

Hi Walu,

Let me clarify my position (i hope it also captures the position of others).

1) This is a first for many developing countries in the region and
around the world. Am proud of this accomplishment and congratulate those
behind this effort.

2) I also recognize the opportunities the open-data presents both
nationally and globally. (read am a techie and i love graphs because
they simplify and talk on my behalf - something am not good at).

3) I would also like to see Kenya be the first to host its open data
locally for the following reasons;
	i) Reduce dependence on International connectivity to reach what will
soon be critical data.

	ii) enhance the speed of access and using the data.

	iii) Cost of accessing the data is lowered for operators and developers.

	iv) Debunk the myth or assumptions about local hosting -- the .KE
domain name is a good success story to learn from.

	v) Develop partnership in e-Govt implementation with local private
sector for a local open gov solution.

	vi) encourage research and development on other content areas - such as
Weather, Geological Surveys & seismic monitoring, etc

	vii) Our opengov solution can be used by others in the region (walking
in the footsteps of mpesa, ushahidi, et al)

 	viii) Lastly if all thats listed above evolves into significant
locally hosted content we can start impacting on cost and access of
Internet as a resource in Kenya.

my 2 cents.

Michuki.