[kictanet] Open Data - Where does it sit?

aki aki275 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 11:52:30 EAT 2011

@Michiri, IMO,

My reference to KICTB taking shortcuts in this Open Data Initiative is that
such an excellent process of being first out there with such an initiative
would have defined our outstanding capabilites. The Open Data initiative is
obviously many months of hard work behind the scenes ( A big thanks to all
those who made it happen ), therefore ample time was available to have found
an interim hosting solution and service to have kept the data and ip traffic
local. There even must have been behind the scenes meetings with Socrata
representatives and obviously Socrata integrating Mobile modules on the
platform so as to ensure that it meets the Kenyan Mobile Sector drive
policies. The Socrata system speaks of itself i.e. why would it suit Open
Data from Kenya.

Unless I missed a brief somewhere, the first I heard of Open data was while
listening to the Pivot25 stream, a couple of weeks ago. Did KICTB consult or
publicly announce that they were looking into a core systems/hosting
facilties? Did they assume that none existed thus Socrata seemed the
shortcut to an off the shelf solution? Things like Socrata just don't appear
overnight with data already captured.

I could also be incorrect in my opinion, and therefore corrections are very
welcome.

Rgds.