[kictanet] Fwd: Open Data - Where does it sit?

aki aki275 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 07:42:26 EAT 2011

@Mr Hussein,

I think I'll add to the valuable input Dr Ndemo had put earlier. In the 70's
it was about the BW, I believe now its about the invasion of VC culture (
read: Silicon valley types ) that is going to take us nowhere thus we need
to do more.  Out of those you've listed, please look further and add whether
any of the innovations holds kenyan patents.

And please don't get me wrong, I know for a fact we are far capable of doing
much more than just trying to create product and services entreprenuers. The
Open Data Initiative is very important to our achievements, but KICTB may
have taken the usual shortcut which unfortunately represents a rather
negative image of the govt in such areas.

In this tech sector, govt plays a very important part in what happens in the
future. And each time it is the govt that is killing the hopes of creative
kenyans in national core systems. By this I do not mean supplying high end
servers nor installing them nor maintaining them. I mean creativity that
means local solutions to local problems.

Thank you. :-)