[kictanet] Khan; solution to teacher shortage

robert yawe robertyawe at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Jul 13 13:14:04 EAT 2011

Daktari,

The mode of education is going the technology way which means that it will soon
fall within your docket which suggests that you must get abreast of what is
happening especially being an academician the benefits of the MIT open learning
and KhanAcademy.

MIT stopped wasting parents/students funds by running formal bridging courses
and instead placed the lectures online.  We are wasting a lot of parents funds
by running formal bringing classes a system like the MIT and Khan online
training can solve this issue.

KIE is busy barking up the wrong tree as the playing field has changed, you once
clearly indicated that during a lecture only 20% grasp the concept immediately
and I beg to add that another 10% will pick it from the assignment/homework and
maybe another 10% by reading the notes or text book leaving an "acceptable" 60%
left behind

If there is no text book for the students to refer then another 10% are left
behind and if there was no exercise book to write notes then there goes another
10% bringing the fallout rate to 80%.

Ooops, almost forgot, and if there is no teacher able to teach the subject then
there goes the remaining 20% which gives us a fallout rate of 100%.

What KhanAcademy is doing is what radio lessons did for those needy schools that
have a shortage of teachers be it Lokitaung, Mukuru kwa Njenga or Kendu Bay.

Mine is to say that instead of us spending millions at talk shops misguiding
young developers about how they will become millionaires by writing applications
for apple store, ovi store or samsung store yet the opportunities lie more in
home grown and consumed solutions.

Khan is not charging for his content so why not take advantage of that situation
and begin to level the education playing field as we work towards including our
own content.

I am sure many of you did not watch the video in full or with the attention
required which explains some of the posts, Khan says the model has changed what
was class work is now homework and what was homework is now classwork, paradigm
shift.

Regards

PS. A recent study found that American students failed miserably in Maths and
Science compared to students in other
 Robert Yawe
KAY System Technologies Ltd
Phoenix House, 6th Floor