[kictanet] [Skunkworks] Examples Open Data in New York

aki aki275 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 11:03:52 EAT 2011

@Andrea, much thanks for the input, its a great way to look at the analysis
of data. :-)

Some general comments:

-I'm sure many are as keen as some of us to get the datasets from the Open
data initiaitve, and especially dealing with debt issues. I see no point in
comparing the dataset usage to creating a better parking system when we have
even more unique issues to address at root level. We will leave "parking
lot" datasets for the board-room display presentations and those looking for
VC funds to finance their mobile dreams. My request to those developing
using the datasets should try and have a national outlook of their
applications and usage because it matters that we have a national impact
with such data.

- On the whether future governments being ceremonial/caretakers of
international funds, I believe this is essentially very necessary. For
decades, all developing countries have shown data that the funds rarely get
used for intended purposes, whether high level or low level. If we are able
to move the process to parliament with an anti-corruption authority as a
process watcher, I think we will then have transparency and implementations
that will have far reaching development results. Kenyans choose what
matters, not govt nor individual politicians. The closed door activities
system just has not worked, not here nor in other developing countries.

Over to the IMF, World Bank, Donor Community, KICTB and the rest to share
and compliment the Open Data Initiative with data that matters. We need it
as much as being the first african country to go with the initiative.

Rgds.