[kictanet] {Disarmed} Re: Open Data - Where does it sit?

Suraj Shah suraj at surajshah.co.ke
Wed Jul 13 09:18:35 EAT 2011

Hi Andrea

That is true to a certain extent only – the classmate is just a tool towards
the greater goal of a holistic 1:1 eLearning in which Teacher Professional
Development, content, connectivity play a bigger role.  There is no such
thing as “teaching materials developed for the Classmate and the use of
digital media”, only the fact that delivery using ICT tools requires digital
media which can be configured for a classmate, a netbook, a notebook, a
desktop etc.  Teachers if they were to integrate ICT in Education WILL
require training.

On the issue of Teacher Professional Development, this is overdue in the
Kenya education scenario because traditional pedagogical approach does not
maximize outcomes:
1. Increased amount of available knowledge and pace of change requires new
approach to acquire and develop knowledge.
2. The current methodology for teaching is outdated and needs a more
interactive approach
3. Foundation for Knowledge Creation is based on 21st Century Skills, which
are:
> *     Technology and media literacy
> *     Effective communication
> *     Critical thinking
> *     Problem solving
> *     Collaboration
4. Different learners have different abilities to learn which are not being
addressed by the current teaching practices.  We must investigate
personalized learning to a certain extent to be able to develop the majority
of the learners ability to grasp and acquire knowledge with easier methods

New technology trends mean:
1. Personalization has and can take place without technology, but not at
scale
2. Technology dramatically increases a teacher's ability to identify and
manage the needs of many students, and for students to access a large
variety of interventions, content, resources, and learning opportunities
everywhere at anytime
3. Optimal Environment for students to develop 21st century skills and
maximize their academic potential using ICT
> * Use ICT as a tool for students to learn at their own pace, and in their own
> personal style of learning
> * Focus on the student and the actual learning environment
> * Create an immersive and personal learning experience, instead of
> ―one-size-fits-all
> * Enable learning outside the classroom (i.e. anywhere/anytime)
4. A 1:1 usage model is the ideal implementation of “Personalized Learning”

Intel signed an MOU with Ministry of Education back in 2008 to promote
training in the usage of ICT in everyday classroom.  It does not endeavour
to make ICT professionals out of teachers, but merely train them on the use
of ICT as a tool for their everyday work.  The course is Intel Teach
Getting Started makes no assumptions of prior ICT knowledge of  teachers and
takes them through a face to face training on how to integrate basic ICT in
Education and to move away from a teacher centric learning to a student
centric learning where the teacher is still as important but plays a bigger
role of facilitator instead of just spewing information.  We have trained 9
million teachers in 60 countries by 2009.  In Kenya MoE has not played its
part in funding this course so the uptake is slow.  Through CEMASTEA, MoE’s
identified training partners, we have trained 5000 preservice and inservice
teachers in the last 12 months.  The course is FREE for all teachers.

Suraj Shah