[kictanet] Open Data - Where does it sit?

aki aki275 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 13:06:46 EAT 2011

In my amateur view of what is happening in KE is a reflection of what is
happening to all developing countries. They are all dependent on 99% imports
and ever since independence, they all have the common factors of economic
policies that have left us in difficulties, poverty and very slow growth
rates. The end result was that such policies made us all entreprenuers of
goods, not creations nor developments. We now only have the mental
capacities to create more profits based on external goods and services. We
are not part of a global village, as we do not contribute anywhere globally.
We are big buyers in the global village.

However, to put this thread to a further discussion, I'd like to get an
opinion from e.g. Safaricom as a Data Centre Operator because I believe they
have the technical and infrastructure capacity to own the cloud process and
make it available to kenyans. Was Safaricom unable to purchase a hosting
solution to match govt requirements? This will help explain the domino
effects of hosting externally.

Thank you.
**