[kictanet] Open Data - Where does it sit?

Rad! conradakunga at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 17:59:31 EAT 2011

I am interested in getting partners to run some solutions as IAAS and SAAS
and being a patriotic Kenyan I first attempted to get quotes for what I
wanted. My findings I am sad to say were

   1. Few providers even understand the concept of SAAS & IAAS. To
   spare embarrassment to employees who have on their payroll engineers unable
   to differentiate the cloud from websites, I won't name names
   2. Those that do have laughable prices. I fiercely love my country and
   its people but my friends I refuse to pay 10-45 times the prices I am
   getting at Amazon / Microsoft / Rackspace because the providers are Kenyan.
   (Yes. That was 45 times)

This is why I am saying i have no problem hosting abroad until local
providers get their act together and can have reasonable prices and
services.

Remember the Ministry also has a fiscal responsibility to spend our taxes
wisely.

If all things are held constant I will pick a local provider any day of the
week and twice on sunday but at 45 times the price? And with no redundancy?
I am afraid not.