[kictanet] Kenya IGF 2011 Mailing List Discussions Day 7 Principles of Internet Policy Making Part 2

Barrack Otieno otieno.barrack at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 15:03:43 EAT 2011

Thank you Sam Gatere for your insightfull responses, it is unfortunate
that majority of us have resorted to complaining through lists or the
media when systems go live, for instance, when opendata.go.ke was
launched there are those who questioned whether the data is hosted
outside the country and why that decision was taken, i am not sure
whom to side with  in so far as the issue is concerned because the
arguments for and against could all be genuine, my only concern is
even as the government embarks on such noble projects which are inline
with Vision 2030, are there Frameworks (principles) that will ensure
that there is more emphasis on the use of local networks for data
interchange to minimise dependence on Foreign carriers which might
translate to Capital flight? that there is adequate Capacity to host
data (especially government data locally...i would be very
uncomfortable to host government data outside our borders whether in a
cloud or not :-) just hoping that is not the case, how do we promote
our ccTLD, najivunia kuwa .ke? , the question is who should take part
and what should be their input?

the discussion contninues..