[kictanet] Copyright Alert System announcement

Alice Munyua alice at apc.org
Fri Jul 8 21:36:34 EAT 2011

See attached, interesting development in the U.S. on online piracy.

Leaders from the movie, television, music and Internet Service provider communities in the U.S. announced a landmark agreement on a common framework for "Copyright Alerts" - a state-of-the art system similar to the credit card fraud alerts - that will educate and notify Internet subscribers when their Internet service accounts are possibly being misused for online content theft. In our view, this is a reasonable and balanced approach that addresses the problem, by providing standards for copyright owners and Internet service providers, while respecting the privacy and rights of our subscribers.

best

Alice