[kictanet] Kenya IGF 2011 Mailing List Discussions Day 7 Principles of Internet Policy Making

Sam Gatere sam.gatere at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 11:09:16 EAT 2011

Barrack this is are interesting questions you raise and fairly well
connected to the country's vision 2030 in-terms of communications.

First I think the Internet is a National Resource and government should be
at the fore in fostering policy making. I say this by virtue of the the fact
that the government has invested heavily in infrastructure development that
will make and is currently making high speed Internet a reality, which in
tern is also helping them achieve better service delivery to the general
public through various initiatives they have already put in place. The
private sector has also participated in this development through
partnerships with government [PPP] or direct investment making them to a
very key stakeholder and the bulk of us the users also have a stake because
we form the market.

With the Internet becoming more readily available some issues definitely
need some backing through a policy, for example: Child protection, we have
seen how easy it is to access premium rate services via your 3G enabled cell
phone which may provide content that you may not be too comfortable having
your child /children access. Easy Access to websites that may have content
that may not be suitable or online forums where pedophiles may gain access
to young ones.

Data protection, how safe is our private (digital) information? I need not
delve deeply in this one you can already imagine what damage that would
bring about should such information run in the wrong hands.

On-line fraud. I'm sure this will be the next frontier for our very
ingenious "MPESA" con's once a real virtual trading environment kicks off
definitely this will be something to contend with.

As technology progress with numerous innovations in our country it's only a
matter of time when our critical installations will be managed on-line if
there is not policy regarding how this resources would be protected.

Civil society has a unique role to educate the general public on the need to
have policy that protects them an the resource (Internet) for the benefit of
all players.

Keeping in mind that the Internet never forgets it's important to train all
those who have access to the Internet to be very careful what the post
on-line or on their social media portals as this information may either
incorrectly represent you or be used against you.

SammyG