[kictanet] Kenya IGF 2011 Discussions Day 6 Broadband

Lucy Kimani lkimani at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 7 00:01:45 EAT 2011

Barrack,

We definately need a comprehensive policy on broadband spear- headed by the Minister of Information & Communications to compliment their 2008 - 2012 Strategic Plan if the country is to realize the vision 2030 dream.  The Ministry has already implemented what I guess is their Phase I (TEAMS cable). The second phase is well underway I believe including the digital villages which should ensure accessible, affordable, efficient, and realiable ICT services throughout the country. Most importantly the broadband policy should specially outline safeguards to ensure broadband deployment nationally while at the same time preserving and promoting open and interconnected networks allowing consumers to access internet content of their choice.  In addition the consumers should have the ability to run applications and services of their choice, as well as to connect via their choice of network devices.  The consumers should also be entitled to choose
 network providers, application and service providers, and content providers which should help competition perhaps encourage [tongue in cheek] another "Bharti" out there to do to data what they did to cell services.

LK