[kictanet] [Skunkworks] Kenya IGF 2011 Policy Discussions Day 5 Cyber Security and Privacy

Barrack Otieno otieno.barrack at gmail.com
Wed Jul 6 12:23:46 EAT 2011

Many thanks Tyrus, Aki, Peter Karunyu and Steve, you are certainly
switched on and i beleive there is much more you can contribute to
this nation in so far as Cyber Security is concerned, Tyrus you
mention ISO 27001/PCI DSS indeed there is a technical commitee at
Kenya Bureu of standards KEBS/ISO/IEC JTC1 SC27 that develops IS
Security standards, i happen to be a member so are other listers
including Evans Ikua the Chairman of LPA Kenya whom i hope will add
some insights into this discussion, one of the greatest challenges has
been the fact that the local industry has been slow to embrace the
standards which are available at the Kenya Bureu of Standards any
lister can contact me offlist incase you need further details, some of
the standards adapted by the commitee to the Kenyan environment
include KSS 2246:2011 Code of Practice for Business Continuity
Management and Ks 2247:2011 Code of Practice for ICT continutiy
Management. Plans are underway for public Fora to create awareness on
the work the commitee is doing and i hope as many listers will be
available for this. On a positive note i am glad the Police
Commissioner is open to new ideas and i suppose he might have an open
door policy going by recent events, i do hope he will be available for
the Face to Face meeting , on another thread Dr. Ndemo lauded crowd
sourcing which i suppose could be a new strategy for government
departments including Police to source for inputs into their
strategies from the public and private sector in an organised manner,
as we carry on do you think the government is taking sufficient steps
to address Cybercrime? if not what needs to be done other than
awareness, as one lister posed is there need for a national strategy
on cyber security, if so who should be the key players and why?

--
Barrack O. Otieno
Afriregister Ltd (Kenya)