[kictanet] Kenya IGF 2011 List Discussions Day 4 Cloud Computing

Sam Aguyo saguyo at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 5 07:33:41 EAT 2011

Dear listeners,

1.  What role should the government play to promote cloud computing in Kenya?
2.  What practical steps should we take as a nation that will move cloud
computing from a lofty idea into a strategic commercial resource?

Cloud computing encompasses Software as a service – SaaS, Platform as a Service
– PaaS and Infrastructure as a Service – IaaS. This therefore means that the
government can intervene at different levels considering the strategic
objectives it would want to pursue.  A case in point is that we have many
students conducting research in the country, however they have to more often
than not distribute printed out questionnaires to respondents, this process is
time consuming making the research process a pain.  Would the universities work
with the private sector to develop an online survey tool under the SaaS concept?

Cloud computing demands almost 0% of infrastructure failure rate which is
achievable through establishment of reliable data centres.

Sam