[kictanet] Kenya IGF Mailing List discussions Day 1 of 10: Impact of Mobile Internet in Kenya

Barrack Otieno otieno.barrack at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 13:28:02 EAT 2011

To spice up the debate and get us going i found the following information
from the White African (
http://whiteafrican.com/2011/02/18/kenyas-mobile-internet-by-the-numbers-q4-2010/)
which are statistics drawn from the CCK Sector Statistics Report  (
http://www.cck.go.ke/resc/statcs.html) for quarter 4 2010

Highlights of Q4 2010:

   - There are 22 million mobile subscribers in Kenya
   - 9.5% mobile subscriptions growth, which is increasing over the previous
   quarters
   - 6.63 billion minutes of local calls were made on the mobile networks
   - 740 million text messages were sent
   - Prepaid accounts for 99% of the total mobile subscriptions
   - The number of internet *users* was estimated at 8.69 million
   - The number of internet/data *subscriptions* is 3.2 million
   - Broadband subscriptions increased from 18,626 subscribers in the
   previous quarter to 84,726

--
Barrack O. Otieno
Afriregister Ltd (Kenya)