[kictanet] Yawe for Post Master General - Aluta Continua

robert yawe robertyawe at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jul 1 10:06:23 EAT 2011

Bobby,

	1. How do you intend to take advantage of the new county system and regional
opportunities (East Central and Southern Africa)
The new county system will provide a new impetus to the need for post offices as
a central location for accessing and disseminating information to the county
citizens.  Applications for passports, driving licenses and the like will be
decentralised to the counties who would then need a cost effective way to
receive and send out the documents.

With the registered mail service sensitive information can be safely delivered
thus reducing the opportunities for corruption and lack of accountability.  On
Tuesday PS Angote was complaining about the thousands of title deeds lying
uncollected at Arthi House, a situation that has arisen by a lack of clear
procedures for delivery of the documents.

All that the Ministry needs to do is send out all completed documents to the
provided postal address, this also helps to confirm the address to which the
land rent demand notes will be sent to, the registrar of motor vehicles has
always sent log books through the postal system why not the titles.

However much you would like to convince ourself that a title deed is worth more
than a car please note that a lot of land that is transacted in the country
costs less than 500,000/- so if we can entrust the postal service with a log
book for a car worth 15 million what is a title deed for a plot worth 150,000/-.

PCK still remains one of the only ways to get mail and parcels to the hinterland
of the region from Mandera to Mbeya and Arua to Lindi all at a fraction of the
price of the next best.
	1. What steps will you take to transform Post Offices in far flung places into
profitable centres?
When you are running a multi-locational organisation you must approach
profitability in a holistic manner and not at individual locations.  Such errors
in reducing your profit calculations to branch level without reconciling it to
the whole organisation have been made with large organisations like Barclay's
Bank who in the heydays of branched banking went on a spree of shutting down
unprofitable branches around the country.

Someone had taken a report showing profitability by branch and proceeded to
close any branch that was not showing a profit.  Their error in judgement was
only realised when someone noticed that closing of a branch in Meru resulted in
a drop in profitability at the Queensway Branch.  What the analyst had not
realised was that customers had accounts in both branches and would then bank
the money in Nairobi then transfer it to the Meru Branch so as not to need to
drive from Nairobi to Meru with cash.

The revenue for the transfer from Nairobi to Meru was realised and booked in the
originating branch therefore giving the indication that one branch was more
profitable than the other yet what they had was a symbiotic relationship.

I would not want to make the same mistake with PCK as I am clear of the
relationship between all branches in making sure that the
entire organisation remains profitable.  The confidence you get when you send
medicine to a parent in your far flung region using PCK will strengthen your
confidence when sending a less sensitive item within the city resulting in
increased loyalty.
	1. How will you encourage the public to troupe back to the Post Offices?
The public never left just a few of us who believe that the entire world moved
electronic, even as we post the postal service in the most developed countries
still continue to operate profitably yet they have technology penetrations
higher than in Kenya.

We must not forget that even DHL continues to grow in leaps and bounds making
snail mail deliveries, if email and SMS are instant then anything that takes
longer than either of those services can be deemed slow.  Not all information
can be delivered electronically in 90% of cases a physical item will need to be
delivered even though the initial transaction was electronic.

PCK is the missing link in the supply chain for e-commerce, I will get you back
to the post office but not necessarily physically as the final delivery will
most likely be to your door.  Through PCK I shall level the divide that
currently exists and continues to widen between you in Nairobi and a student in
Lokitaung, the student at Nairobi University with access to multiple bookshops
and libraries to one in Maseno with access to a single overpriced and
understocked bookshop.

Regards

--
Barrack O. Otieno