[kictanet] Media council Draft bill 2010 (Day Six--Funds and Assets of the Council )

Grace Githaiga ggithaiga at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 31 00:10:59 EAT 2011

Dear Listers

Good morning. I hope you had a great weekend.

We now continue with the debate. Four more days to go!

Today, our focus will be on Part III of the Media Council Bill which provides for the funds of the Council.

Article 19 outlines the composition of the assets and funds for the Council. However in 19 (e) , the bill states that the Council shall receive…donations, gifts and endowments from lawful organizations or sources which shall NOT be from foreign governments or foreign entities.

Further (g) provides for grants which shall NOT be from foreign governments or foreign entities.

Questions:
·         What is the basis/aim of this law?
·         The current MCK has had collaborations with donors and embassies. Does this law have an implication on such collaboration(s)? And if so, what’s the way forward?
·         Is it realistic to expect the MCK NOT to receive grants and donations from foreign governments or foreign entities?

Kindly give us your thoughts.

Have a great week.
Rgds
Grace

If you have the strength to survive, you have the power to succeed. Life is all about choices we make depending upon the situation we are in. Go forth and rule the World!