[kictanet] Media council Draft bill 2010 (Day Five--tenure of office of Council members )

Grace Githaiga ggithaiga at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 28 00:13:43 EAT 2011

Dear Listers

Today being Friday, we are only raising three concerns on requirements for appointment to the Council and tenure of office of Council members.

On requirements for appointment (article 10) the draft provides for eligibility for appointment to the Council which is (a) a person is a holder of a degree…, has expertise in areas of media policy and law, media regulation, business practice and finance, journalism, the performing arts, entertainment, education, advertising practice or related social issues.

Question: Is this section necessary considering issues of qualifications for appointment have already been dealt with in section 7 (on qualifications)?

On tenure of office, members shall hold office for a period of three years and shall be eligible for re-appointment subject to a maximum of two terms.

Question:
·         Should there be special provision of election of Chair within the Council?

·         And can a person be a Chair for the two terms s/he is a council member?

Let me take this opportunity to thank all those who have made this debate very interesting in the first five days. We will take Monday next week as day six where we will discuss matters finance. We do hope that those who have not been able to participate/contribute will get a chance to do so next week.
Do have a great weekend.
Rgds
Grace

If you have the strength to survive, you have the power to succeed. Life is all about choices we make depending upon the situation we are in. Go forth and rule the World!