[kictanet] Media council Draft bill 2010 (Day Four--Appointment of Chair/Procedure for appointment)

ERICK ngaira erickngaira at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 17:25:48 EAT 2011

Dear  all
I am inclined to believe this was copy paste from the Judicial Service
Commission bill,( drafting error) hence the reference to  “the Chair
of the Commission”. On the other hand, if that is not the case and
indeed the drafters intention is to have  an advocate as  the chair
then ,these are my comments
.
 1.In other  jurisdictions , for example , Uganda, Tanzania ,
Southafrica,  etc, - where I believe the drafters were borrowing from
, the chair of the council is judge or retired judge, This is mainly
because in these jurisdictions it is the Council that  hears and
determines complaints  unlike the MCK.

The MCK as constituted by both the 2007 Act and the 2010 Bill creates
the Complaints Commission. It is the Commission that hears and
determines complaints. The Chairperson of the commission is a person
qualified to hold the office of a  of the judge of the High Court.
Therefore it is not necessary to make the chair of the Council a
judge, even if the drafters were contemplating an appeal from the
Commission to the Council, as provided for in section 33 of the bill,
the Council already has a an advocate as a member and the  can sit on
the appeals Committee. In view of this, the position of Chairperson
should be open to anyone sitting on the Council, and they should be
elected by the other Council members.

As far as membership to the counci goes, It would be prudent to have
each of the professional bodies drawn from those professions listed
under Section7(c) among other stakeholders, nominate someone to serve
on the Council with a minimum number reserved  for  media
profffesionals.

2. On he JSC being the appointing authority, I believe the idea was to
make the MCK  independent from the government  in the spirit of
article 34(5), however this is inconsistent with the provisions  of
article 172 that outline the mandate of  the JSC. To that extent the
provision is null and void as provided for in article 2(4) of the
Constitution.