[kictanet] Media council Draft bill 2010 (Day Three--Summary)

Grace Githaiga ggithaiga at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 27 00:12:43 EAT 2011

Thanks Racheal and all who contributed to today's debate.

These are the concerns were were able to deduce in today's discussion:

1.      Should the media council consist solely of journalists and media
professionals?

2.      If the MCK should consist of diverse professionals, which particular
ones? And should there be a minimum number of media professionals in a
multi-disciplinary MCK? Suggestions that five of seven then should be drawn from media.

3.      The need for clear affirmative action where a third of the seven should be women / men who meet those requirements.

4.      MCK Members may not be state officers but should prescribe to leadership and integrity principles as stated in chapter 6 of the Constitution

5.      It is difficult to measure/quantify a distinguished career.

Rgds
Grace

If you have the strength to survive, you have the power to succeed. Life is all about choices we make depending upon the situation we are in. Go forth and rule the World!