[kictanet] Media council Draft bill 2010 (Summary of Day Two discussions)

Grace Githaiga ggithaiga at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 26 11:24:04 EAT 2011

Dear Listers

Thanks to all who made contributions to the debate today. Out of the discussion, we have been able to flag the following as issues arising:

1.      Are the meaning of the terms 'journalist' and 'journalism' as used in the act, too wide or too narrow?
2.      The definition of 'media' and 'media enterprises' in the act does not draw a definite distinction between the two. Also consider the definition of traditional-type media that also disseminate over the Internet to distinguish between them and bloggers.
3.      Would the setting of employment criteria for journalists infringe on their freedom of expression?
4.      Should there be accreditation of journalists? both foreign and local?
5.      Is the definition of 'foreign journalist' as used in the Act too narrow?
6.      Are the provisions of Section 4(c),(e),(h) and (i)of the Act too repetitive?

We look forward to hearing more from you tomorrow when we discuss the issues of the Composition of th Council and their qualifications. Some people already raised them yesterday and tomorrow we focus the day on them.

Kind Regards
Grace

If you have the strength to survive, you have the power to succeed. Life is all about choices we make depending upon the situation we are in. Go forth and rule the World!