[kictanet] Media council Draft bill 2010 (Day Two discussions)

Grace Githaiga ggithaiga at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 25 00:05:34 EAT 2011

listers

Today, we will shift our focus on Part 1 sections of Part 2(Functions of the Council, Operations of the Council). Part 1 is the index and has the interpretation/definition of terms. This is straight forward.  However, I will raise three concerns.

Part 1 Interpretation
Journalism is interpreted to mean the collecting, writing, editing and presenting of news or news articles in newspapers and magazines, radio and television broadcasts, and in the internet.

Question: Does this definition mean the online versions of news from different media houses? A concern has been raised about bloggers for example the many bloggers who were presenting opinions as news/facts in post election violence.

“Media” is interpreted to include both electronic and print media engaged in any production for circulation..
While “Media Enterprise” means an organization whose business involves the collection, processing and dissemination of news…through media.”

Question: Is there a better way of phrasing the two so that it is clear to distinguish between content (media) and business (media enterprise)?

Part 11 Functions and Operations of the Council

In 4 (h), the Council will make recommendations on the employment criteria for journalists. In yesterday’s discussion, Rosemary raised two concerns.

a)      How will this be done?
b)      Is this not infringing on the freedom of journalists? Does this mean that one cannot get employed unless the Council recommends the criteria for employment?

In 4 (k) the Council will compile and maintain a register of journalists, media enterprises and such other media enterprises and such other related registers as it may deem fit.
a)      Rosemary raised the issue of those who contribute commentaries, and whether media houses will on a daily basis need to send the list of journalists or will this be done annually? In other words, how will this register be compiled?
b)      Does this then not call for accreditation of local journalists?

And to our last concern today:
On operations of the Council the bill states: The Council shall operate without any government, political, commercial or other bias or interference and shall be wholly independent and separate from government, any political party or organization, any commercial enterprise or enterprises, or any nominating authority.

a)      Again Rosemary raised the issue of whether we are talking of a self-regulatory media council or a statutory but be self-regulated by the industry and the public.
b)      Can this be actualized when the Council is receiving funding from the government?

Listers, I invite you to give suggestions. Feel free to contribute to any or all of the questions.

Have a great day.
Rgds
Grace

If you have the strength to survive, you have the power to succeed. Life is all about choices we make depending upon the situation we are in. Go forth and rule the World!