[kictanet] Media council Draft bill 2010 (Day one discussion)

Francis Hook francis.hook at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 11:41:58 EAT 2011

Hi Grace,

1 - Please clarify #2 - the wording "b) reflect the sections of all sections
of society; and..."   Sorry I do not have access to the draft
2 - Assuming the actual wording for the item above varies only slightly, I'd
possibly want to re-phrase it to capture common  morals and ethics (or moral
ethics if you like in order that we do not delve too much into philosophy at
this stage).
3 - Thinking of the third question; "Will the proposed Media Council enhance
professionalism and growth of media in Kenya?" I'd also like the discussion
to touch on whether the proposed media council will help us return to and
uphold acceptable moral values - if I may broadly cite the brainless topics
on some FM stations in the morning, that air in matatus in which school
going kids sometimes  commute -  as well as the not so savoury music shows
that air between 4pm and 6pm - a time when content ideally should be for
kids).
3 - And not meaning to jump the gun, I'd be interested to know which
professionals comprise the council (i.e. does it include religious leaders?
Kenya Union of Journalists? MSK? etc?)

@Walu - we have the Media Owner's Association.

On 24 January 2011 00:26, Grace Githaiga <ggithaiga at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Dear All
>

> Welcome to day 1 of the discussion on the Media Bill 2010. We welcome those
> who have just subscribed to the mailing list.
>

> As reported last week, the discussion will take 10 days where different
> concerns will be raised on different days. The Kenya ICT Action Network
> (KICTANet), University of Nairobi (UoN), and the International Development
> and Research Center (IDRC) is launching the discussions as a  response to an
> invitation by the Permanent Secretary Ministry of Information and
> Communication Dr. Bitange Ndemo's call for stakeholder input on two proposed
> draft bills (Media Bill and the Independent Communications Commission 2010
> Bill. The Bills can be accessed on the ministry website:
> http://www.information.go.ke.
>

> The discussions will aim to obtain inputs from e-participants and other
> stakeholders, and begin to build consensus on the proposed draft bills. All
> comments, suggestions, edits and opinions relevant to the draft bills will
> be collated and will form part of KICTANet’s first draft report that will be
> validated at a face to face workshop in March 2011 (dates to be announced
> later).
>
> The final report will be submitted to the Ministry of Information and
> Communication as well as the Parliamentary Select committee on Energy
> Information and Communication.
>

> *Today's discussion:*
>

> The purpose of the Media Council Bill:
>

> *An Act of Parliament to provide for the realization of the right to
> freedom of expression and freedom of media; for the establishment of the
> Media Council of Kenya; for the conduct and discipline of journalists and
> the media, and for connected purposes.*
>

> Article 33 of the Constitution provides for Freedom of Expression, while
> Article 34 provides for the freedom of Media. Further in Article 34, sub
> article 5, it states...Parliament shall enact legislation that provides for
> the establishment of a body which shall:
>

> a) be independent of control by government, political interests or
> commercial interests;
>
> b) reflect the sections of all sections of society; and
>
> c) set media standards and regulate and monitor compliance with those
> standards.
>

> We welcome responses/reflections to the following:
>

> 1.      Is the purpose (as stated above) satisfactory, or should it be
> enhanced to reflect the provisions in the constitution?
>
> 2.      Is this proposed Media Council best placed to perform and fulfill
> this purpose?
>
> 3.      Will the proposed Media Council enhance professionalism and growth
> of media in Kenya?
>

> Rgds
>
> Grace

Francis Hook