[kictanet] KEnic down

Joe Kiragu kiragu at kenic.or.ke
Thu Jan 13 16:32:20 EAT 2011

KIXP-KENIC Primary Link (KDN) and Transit Link (Swift) was Down,
There was a Technical Problem with the Base Station where our WIMAX
Link is located
The problem  has since been restored.

The Backup KIXP-KENIC ( Telkom- Kenstream ) Line has been down for a
long While,
KENIC Management have terminated this link as a result of frequent
breakdowns and sourced for another Backup Link

The New KIXP-KENIC backup link (Access) is is almost being
commissioned, Actually Access Kenya have just  finished termination at
KIXP side today
The New KIXP-KENIC Backup link is expected to be operational from
Tomorrow.

The Backup Transit Link at KENIC (Access) was up, As a result  DNS
propagation to .KE secondary name servers was still operational during
the downtime thus .KE domains were therefore available.
Services that were affected by the downtime are; KENIC Website and
Domain Registrations portal.

Apologies for any inconvenienced caused.

Regards,
Joe Kiragu
Administrative Manager
Kenya Network Information Centre (KENIC)
"Where the internet begins in Kenya"
kiragu at kenic.or.ke

On Jan 13, 2011, at 3:21 PM, Ngũgĩ Kĩmani wrote:

> Yes, it is up again, let's hope it stays up.
>
> --
> Ngũgĩ Kĩmani | Fundi wa Mitambo | 0772 576846 | http://www.mafundi.co.ke/h
> ome
>

> On 13 January 2011 13:26, McTim <dogwallah at gmail.com> wrote:
> KENIC back online (for me)
>
> --
> Cheers,
>
> McTim
>
> On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 12:46 PM, Ngũgĩ Kĩmani
> <ngugi at mafundi.co.ke> wrote:
> > @Agosta: I doubt it is a case of fibre cut, I can go as far as
> > 198.32.143.72, while the affected server(s) is on 198.32.67.18, so
> I guess
> > the router and the server are pretty much near each other, maybe
> even in the
> > same building, although I know the opposite can also be true.
> >
> > --
> > Ngũgĩ Kĩmani | Fundi wa Mitambo | 0772 576846 |
> > http://www.mafundi.co.ke/home
> >

> > On 13 January 2011 10:19, Agosta Liko <agostal at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hey
> >>
> >> I think a fiber optic cable has been vandalized by those people
> sabotaging
> >> each other :)

> unenforceable
> a lot of
> exchange
> other end I
> redundant

Kenya Network Information Center (KENIC)