[kictanet] Google appoints Kenyan Ory okolloh to manage its Africa policy

Alice Munyua alice at apc.org
Fri Jan 7 19:42:19 EAT 2011

Congratulations Ory!

best

alice
--------------------------

Google recently appointed Ory Okolloh, an online activist and co-founder
of Ushahidi <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ushahidi>, as Policy Manager
for Africa. Ushahidi <http://www.ushahidi.com> is a famed crowd sourcing
site dedicated to information collection, visualisation and interactive
mapping.

Google's appointment shows its confidence in Africa's digital growth and
recognises the continent as a future tech giant.

Okolloh is a TED <http://www.ted.com> fellow, Global Voices contributor
<http://www.globalvoicesonline.org/author/ory/>and a Harvard-educated
lawyer. She is a regular speaker at prestigious conferences such as TED,
World Economic Forum <http://www.weforum.org>, Poptech
<http://www.poptech.org>, CGI, Techonomy <http://www.techonomy.com>,
Mobile Web Africa <http://www.mobilewebafrica.com>, and the Monaco Media
Forum <http://www.monacomediaforum.org/>on issues around citizen
journalism. She has been very active in building Africa's technological
landscape.

Okolloh comes into the role with a strong background in law having
worked as a corporate lawyer for an organisation in support of
entrepreneurs in South Africa. She has also been at the helm of Ushahidi
for the last three years. Okolloh steps down as Ushahidi's Executive
Director and will take up her new position in Johannesburg, South Africa
mid January.

According to a recent post on her blog Kenyan Pundit
<http://www.kenyanpundit.com/2010/12/23/stepping-down-as-ushahidi-executive-director/>
she writes "the role will involve developing policy/strategies on a
number of areas of relevance to Google and the Internet in Africa and
will involve working with different parties including government
leaders, policy makers, regulators, industry groups and so on.

"It is a huge opportunity to bring Google's resources to bear as far as
the growth and development of the internet in Africa. I'm very excited
about the move and I hope I can continue to lean on your support and
insight in my new role."

ReadWriteWeb
<http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/google_hires_kenyan_activist_to_shape_africa_polic.php>
noted that Okolloh's portfolio will include the whole of Sub-Saharan Africa.

"Overall, I'll be working to get more people online and policies
favourable to that, also (cultivate) support for local content and an
environment which supports innovation," she tells ReadWriteWeb.