[kictanet] Has Kenya Police Website been Hacked?

Odhiambo Washington odhiambo at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 12:00:30 EAT 2011

On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 11:23 AM, Muchiri Nyaggah <muchiri at semacraft.com>wrote:

> The nameservers were simply an entertaining detour. Deathstar.org is a very
> old domain and like someone pointed out, in the 90's coming up with creative
> eyebrow-raising names was cool. Now we read anything in everything :)
>
> Is there overlap between what the ICT board does and the GITS department at
> Treasury where public sector ICT policy is concerned? Who would ultimately
> be responsible for responding to breaches of this nature on government IT
> infrastructure?

Wait a moment! Was the server where www.kenyapolice.go.ke was hosted on govt
IT infrastructure?

gw# dig www.kenyapolice.go.ke +short
62.24.109.6
gw# dig -x 62.24.109.6 +short
g-3-3-0-core-as12455.telkom.co.ke.

So, the IP is obtained from Telkom. A whois lookup shows the block in which
it belongs as not delegated so I can't tell whether the website is hosted on
Telkom's equipment or govt equipment.
It would be nice to know who has custody of the server that was compromised,
in order to answer the question posed by Muchiri on
"Who would ultimately be responsible for responding to breaches of this
nature on government IT infrastructure?"

Looking at the Kenya Police website, I see nothing important in it that can
affect govt operations but I could be shortsighted. Police are not known to
be that IT Savvy as to be able to operate/interact with Netizens. They don't
conduct any business online - not even those e-mail addresses listed on
their website. Most Police officers are computer illiterate. Maybe that is
one of those things we need to be looking at, now that there is focus on the
Police/govt.

--
Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,