[kictanet] DAY 10: The Name "The Independent Communications Commission of Kenya"

Wamuyu Gatheru wamuyu at soko-id.co.ke
Mon Feb 28 12:13:46 EAT 2011

Thanks GG, Ombati and those who looked into the issue on which is the
Constitutional body. There are statutory commissions and the ICCK may
be one. The Media Council will have much greater powers than the ICCK
due to being a Constitutional commission (and also as a right in the
bill of rights)- e.g. can only be eliminated or its powers revised by
a referendum while the ICCK may only require only a simple majority in
the National Assembly to be abolished.

I think there may be more implications, as a result, that will come up
before both these bills are law. For example the Media Council board
will have Constitutionally provided for security of tenure that the
ICCK will not have.

regards,
Wamuyu