[kictanet] Wezesha Laptop Campaign abused

Crystal Watley Kigoni crystal at voicesofafrica.org
Wed Feb 23 09:01:56 EAT 2011

On the downlow, there are other initiatives coming up which will enable all
Kenyan youth to access technology. The idea came from exactly the problems
you are stating. Several of our university interns were not able to get
laptops due to bureaucracy.

The question is what other enterprises are willing to do to ensure universal
access to tech. I invite others to share in the discussion.

Crystal

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 8:47 AM, Harry Karanja <kairo at softlaw.co.ke> wrote:

> The Wezesha Laptop Campaign was a noble initiative to give students the
> chance to acquire laptops at subsidized rates. It is therefore saddening
> when I heard from several students that the vouchers worth KES. 10,000 are
> being re-sold at between KES. 2,500 and KES. 3,000. This is down to two
> factors:
>

> 1.       the  failure by well meaning students to acquire the vouchers
> within the registration period
>
> 2.       the infiltration of the initiative by businessmen who use student
> proxies to buy the laptops at the subsidized rates and later resell them at
> a profit
>

> It is therefore very likely that a number of the 15,000 plus laptops will
> find their way back into the market and not benefit the intended recipients.
> How can the next initiative be structured to meet these challenges?
>

> Regards,
>
> *Harry Karanja **n** **Director** **n** **SoftLaw Limited** **n** **Genius
> Executive Centre** **n** **15th Floor View Park Towers* * **n** **Utalii
> Lane** **n** **Nairobi CBD** **n** **Tel: +254 20 342 225** *

Crystal "Naliaka" Watley Kigoni
Executive Director
Voices of Africa for Sustainable Development
crystal at voicesofafrica.org
http://www.voicesofafrica.org/

Intersat Broadband Services
Solar Powered Advanced Rural Communication (SPARC)
Project Coordinator
crystal.kigoni at intersat.ae
http://www.rik.co.ke

Twitter: VOA_Crystal
Skype: crystal.naliaka
Facebook group: Voices of Africa

"You must be the change you wish to see" - Gandhi