[kictanet] Calling Rates - Airtel to de-list Celtel

Andrea Bohnstedt andrea.bohnstedt at ratio-magazine.com
Fri Feb 18 10:20:02 EAT 2011

Not ICT related, but:

Zim has and had plenty of times for shares, and from way back when I was
still writing about it, I vaguely remember that many people actually put
their money in shares because interest rates were negative thanks to the
country's hyperinflation.

Here's a brief overview of the ZSE performance in the past two years. Not
fantastic, but by no means a basket case either:
http://www.africancapitalmarketsnews.com/836/whats-up-on-zimbabwe-stock-exchange/

Dollarisation had the interesting impact that it uncovered inefficiencies in
management, and also rendered a couple of company holdings done purely for
cash/forex management purposes ineffective, leading to some corporate
unbundling:
http://blog.imarainvestor.com/2009/12/dollarisation-and-case-for-unbundling.html

On 18 February 2011 09:30, waudo siganga <emailsignet at mailcan.com> wrote:

> Hi Robert - I wonder if Zimbabweans can afford shares. Right now they have
> no currency and they are using green bucks. The Zimbabwe dollar became so
> useless that to buy a tomato one needed trillions. It was said that one had
> to carry money on a wheelburrow and upon coming across robbers one would
> throw the money away and run off with the wheelburrow because it was more
> valuable. These guys have no time for shares man!
> Waudo
>  On Fri, 18 Feb 2011 05:20 +0000, "robert yawe" <robertyawe at yahoo.co.uk>
> wrote:
>

> Airtel are in the process of having Celtel Zimbabwe de-listed from the
> Zimbabwe stock exchange, this might not seem like much but in reality it is
> a reflection of Airtels profit sharing strategy.
>

> The effect of this action is that the common Zimbabweans will not benefit
> from the profits of the company even though they will have been generated
> locally.  Instead the government of Mugabe will receive large volumes of
> money through corporate tax.
>
>  Lets appreciate the fact that Safaricom at least allows us to share in
> their profits through dividend as shareholders.
>
>  Regards
>
> Robert Yawe
> KAY System Technologies Ltd
> Phoenix House, 6th Floor
> P O Box 55806 Nairobi, 00200
> Kenya
>
> Tel: +254722511225, +254202010696

Andrea Bohnstedt <http://ke.linkedin.com/in/andreabohnstedt>
Publisher
+254 720 960 322

www.ratio-magazine.com
Find/post East Africa careers<http://www.ratio-magazine.com/careers/index.php>
Find/post conferences, workshops, trainings, other business
events<http://www.ratio-magazine.com/businessevents/index.php>