[kictanet] Day 1: Debate on the Independent Communications Commission of Kenya Bill 2010

Catherine Adeya elizaslider at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 14 09:12:42 EAT 2011

Dear Listers,

Happy Valentine's day.

Today we begin our debate on the Independent Communications Commission of Kenya
Bill. If you need a reminder of what we are doing, please check the email below.

The issue for today is simply (I have copied it verbatim as it appears in the
Bill):

Object of the Act which is to establish an independent Commission which:

a) is independent of control by government, political or commercial interests;
b) reflects the interests of all sections of the society;
c) sets media standards and regulate and monitor compliance with those standards
as required by section 34 of the Constitution
d) regulate communications in the public interest; and
e) Achieve the objects contemplated in the Act.

What is your take on this?

Best Regards,

Nyaki