[kictanet] Media council Draft bill 2010 (Day 10: Conclusion/Summary of Issues)

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 12:51:31 EAT 2011

Barrack,

On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 12:37 PM, Barrack Otieno
<otieno.barrack at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Grace,
>  The definition of ‘journalist’ is unsatisfactory; should it exclude
> bloggers and include reporters?
> IMHO, we should not debate about the definition of a journalist, this is a
> profession and has to be guided by the basic tenets of the profession,
> blogging is an emerging trend, one important output of this discourse should
> be to promote and protect the journalism profession and the Media as an
> industry so as to ensure it contributes to the vision and aspirations of
> this nation,, (Freedom of expression can easily result in verbal diarrhoea
> which is lethal for a nation

I would say the freedom to write/publish what one wishes (as long as
it is not libelous/slanderous) is VITAL for a nation.

, an element of institutionalised benevolent
> dictatorship is required )

I would say that such a dictatorship, no matter how benevolent is
anathema to a Free Press, and detrimental to the nation.

  i would have loved to see many journalists
> contribute to this debate since it shapes their industry and the nation in
> general

+1

--
Cheers,