[kictanet] Forthcoming Discussions on the Independent Communications Commission of Kenya Bill 2010

Barrack Otieno otieno.barrack at gmail.com
Fri Feb 4 12:46:10 EAT 2011

Thanks Nyaki, onto preliminaries i am having a problem with the word
independent, it oozes rebellion and does not encourage Multistakeholderism
could we vote on this on the first day, i propose we just retain the
Communications Commision of Kenya, hatutaki Interim Independent

On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 11:39 PM, Catherine Adeya <elizaslider at yahoo.com>wrote:

> [...]
>
> After a healthy and heated debate on the Media Council Bill 2010, next week
> we will move on to the following discussion:
>
> Topic: The Independent Communications Commission of Kenya Bill 2010
>
> Venue: Here on the KICTANET list
>
> Participants: You
>
> Duration: Mon. 7th Feb - Thur. 17 Feb. 2010 (or technically on 18 Feb.
> 2010)
>
> I have decided to send out this notice early enough so you have time to
> download the Bill and read it. The Bill has four main Chapters:
>
>  *CHAPTER I : INTRODUCTORY PROVISIONS: *Definitions etc.
>
>  *CHAPTER II: INDEPENDENT COMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION OF KENYA: *Establishment
> of the Independent Communications Commission of Kenya.
>
> *CHAPTER III: COMMITTEES*
>
> *CHAPTER IV: TRANSITIONAL PROVISIONS: *Transfer of Staff
>
> *FIRST SCHEDULE: LAWS AMENDED OR REPEALED*
>
> *     : MEMORANDUM OF OBJECTS AND REASONS*
>

> However, we will focus our discussions mainly on Chapter II, III and IV for
> obvious reasons.
>
> You can access 'The Independent Communications Commission of Kenya (ICCK)
> Bill' at the Ministry of Information and Communications website:
> http://www.information.go.ke/
>
>  To be more exact you can find it at:
> http://www.information.go.ke/index2.php?option=com_docman&task=doc_view&gid=19&Itemid=37
>
> The ten day discussions will focus on critical and gnawing issues. We will
> summarize the discussions as we go along.
>
> *Date *
>
> *Focus*
>
> Mon 7 Feb. 2011
>
> Object of the Act which is to establish an independent Commission...
>

> Tue 8 Feb.
>

>  SECTION 3: THE 'ESTABLISHMENT OF INDEPENDENT COMMUNICATIONS COMMISSION OF
> KENYA'
>
> Wed 9 Feb
>

> SECTION 4: FUNCTIONS OF THE COMMISSION
>
> Thur 10 Feb.
>

> SECTION 5: CONSTITUTION AND APPOINTMENT OF COMMISSIONERS TO COMMISSION
>
> SECTION 6: DISQUALIFICATION
>
> Friday 11 Feb.
>
> *Day 5 and 6*:
>
> From p. 7-8
>
> SECTION 7: TERMS OF OFFICE
>
> SECTION 8: REMOVAL FROM OFFICE
>
> SECTION 10: REMUNERATION
>
> SECTION 12: CONFLICT OF INTEREST
>
> Mon 14 Feb.
>

> SAME AS FRI. 11 FEB. 2011.
>
> Tue 15 Feb.
>

> SECTION 14:  STAFF TO THE COMMISSION.
>

> Wed 16 Feb.
>

> SECTION 18: DISSOLUTION OF CCK
>
> SECTION 19: TRANSFER OF STAFF
>
> SECTION 20: TRANSFER OF RIGHTS, LIABILITIES, OBLIGATIONS
>
> Thur 17 Feb
>

> SECTION 21: LEGAL PROCEEDINGS
>
> SECTION 22: LEGALITY OF ACTS
>
> Fri 18 Feb.
>

> Recap any pending issues that have not been dealt with in detail.
>

>  See you all next week...I look forward to healthy discussions.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Nyaki (or Dr. Catherine Adeya...as Alice had introduced me)

Barrack O. Otieno
Afriregister Ltd (Kenya)
www.afrire <http://www.afriregister.com>gister.bi,
www.afriregister.com<http://www.afriergister.com>