[kictanet] Media council Draft bill 2010 (Day Eight--Code of Conduct/Wrapping up)

Racheal Nakitare rachealnakitare at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Feb 2 22:27:22 EAT 2011

Dear Grace and all,
My apologies for lack of participation this week. I was bogged down by work
On the Monday question on financial provision, it is not realistic for the
council not to receive funding from foreign governments. Even the government of
Kenya gets funding from foreign governments and entities. It should be left to
the council to source for funding from wherever it deems fit so as to achieve
its objectives. I believe the current MCK has had collaboration with foreign
governments and entities and it has worked for it.

On the Complaints and Dispute Resolution, i see no problem with the chair having
the legal profession background if his/her expertise will add value to its
mandate. however i have trouble with the requirement of the person having 10
years experience in the high court. Five should suffice so that we don't lock
out young geniuses.
And i agree with Grace that the bill is not clear on whether the Complaints and
Dispute Resolution Commission has the powers of a high court or will refer some
of the disputes to the high court.

On procedures upon complaint, the bill gives provision for 14 days from the date
of receipt for it to be presented to the complaints committee and another 14
days within which feedback will be communicated after the dispute  has been
determined. The assumption here is that there will not arise a situation that
needs urgent attention like was the case of encroachment and disconnection of
links of KISS some years back. I think there should be provision for urgent
resolutions.

Code of conduct for the practice of journalism carries the core of the business
and yes, the MCK code should be the minimum code that each media house and
journalist should subscribe to. This will help ensure  professionalism by all
players in the industry. All media houses/ enterprises should be bound by the
principles under the code of conduct at frequency and license allocation stage.

Independence is hard to achieve in an industry that is more than 90% commercial
owned . article 2(f)  talks about inflencing news judgement and content
"inappropriately" . Who would determine what is appropriate and inappropriate
especially where coverage of biggest sponsors are concerned?

How does article 5 - opportunity to reply fit in with complaints and disputes?
Maybe article 6 and 7 should be merged and made clearer.
I agree with the suggestion that the children s act and sexual offenses act
should be integrated into 18 and 19.

Apart from the Hate speech (article 25), the national cohesion and integration
act should also be sought on article 22 (acts of violence) . This is in relation
to adhering to the code of conduct while consciously ensuring peace.

What has not come out clearly for me is the authority of the council vis a vis
the media houses / employers in terms of upholding  the profession. Is the
practitioners protected from the owner/ employer if in keeping with the code of
conduct one finds themselves at loggerheads with owners?

Once again sorry for chipping in late.
Cheers
Rachael.