[kictanet] Vision 2030: ICT and Other Sectors Converged (Day 3)

S.M. Muraya murigi.muraya at gmail.com
Sat Dec 31 19:28:51 EAT 2011

On Sat, Dec 31, 2011 at 7:38 AM, <bitange at jambo.co.ke> wrote:

> Eric,
>

> .... I attend most of presentations by youth at I-hub and I-Lab.  The
> angel investors you see in these presentations are not Africans.  By any
> statistics, if all venture capitalist are foreign then when such ideas
> break big, we shall simply be onlookers.  Who should be taking the risk?
> Should government be in business only to privatize when risk is minimized?

Kenyan / African youth who serve their fellow Africans as well or as hard
as they try to impress (pitch to) foreigners are very rare but most
valuable breed (Most Valuable Kenyans -- MVK's -- or Most Valuable Africans
-- MVA's). Who / where are they?

Once heard James Mwangi state, that "our mothers could not afford to open
bank accounts" -- their initial (not necessarily current) target group was
Kenyans viewed as worthless by foreign banks.

> ..... Your celebration of our academics in the diaspora again is too
> early.  Most of African academics abroad are suspect.  I do not know
> whether they are genuine or simply saying what is politically correct.  I
> think they are guilty for not coming back to be foot sodiers of
> development.  It is easier to cheer or jeer from the sidelines.  They must
> make sacrifices and come home to share their experiences.  Let us see them
> take the leadership and show us the way.

Well noted. Nothing good is developed by pure academics but through
practicals (practicing integrity and excellence) on the ground / in the
field where it is needed most. It is ONLY Kenyans / Africans raising their
children here, to value and live in Kenya / Africa that can be PRIMARILY
(not exclusively) counted on to continue the good work that has began on
the ground.

Have a Blessed 2012...