[kictanet] Vision 2030: ICT and Other Sectors Converged (Day 2)

Harry Delano harry at comtelsys.co.ke
Sat Dec 17 19:48:40 EAT 2011

Dear Mr.Kibati,

Many thanks for your well articulated responses.

Now that we all acknowledge how much opportunity we've lost for possibly up
to a third of a century that's just gone by,

I'd suggest as much as possible we work to put safeguards in place to
insulate projected vision frameworks from being

derailed. This is particularly necessary, because we have had numerous
"visions" before, that fell flat..

Do we already have these safeguards in place..? My first impression is that
this is very much a project full embraced by

our current Government as a steward. How do we ensure successful governments
carry on the vision..?  Or do we just delink

completely, and have this institutionalized and steered by technocrats
instead ( Limited Govt involvement), ..? I recall you

mentioning in an interview yesterday that 70-80% implementation of this
vision lies squarely in the hands of the private sector.

To insure these real-time investors in such a long-term vision/dream as
this, we may need to relook at the structural framework

that ensures it remains sustainable and on course with an inbuilt capacity
to outlive successive administrations till we achieve

our stated goals and more.

Last but not least,  could we have at the heart of Vision 2030 the "Sleeping
Economic giant" - that is the African continent..?

Let's look East, West, North and South - continentally, and position
ourselves strategically to become the African powerhouse

in every sphere.

Thanks,

Harry