[kictanet] On Technology and effective use of Govt Finances

Matunda Nyanchama mnyanchama at aganoconsulting.com
Wed Dec 14 23:32:02 EAT 2011

Mugo Kibati

I want to make one point on ICT and government financial management. And I make this from our informal assessment of how well CDF funds are utilized; my suspicion is that the same practices are pervasive through government. My view is that if we effectively reduced leakage (say to 10%) we can substantially improve delivery.

Our estimate (see this article I wrote for one paper) is that, in some places, as much as 70% of CDF money could be leaking, through kickbacks, price inflation, etc. And that by the time audits come around, it is rather late; and, as we all know in Kenya, you can use the same money you stole to subvert justice.

ICT can be used for real-time financial management, monitoring approvals, spending and allowing citizens to raise (even anonymously) concerns with spending and corruption. The system would also generate real-time management reports, track trends, determine the ossification of the spending and established priorities; and thus, perhaps, fend off inappropriate, unapproved spending. Indeed, from such information one can even detect fraud patterns and work towards establishing controls to forestall undue losses.

Baadaye, time permitting, on the subject of technology and education.

Matunda Nyanchama, PhD, CISSP; mnyanchama at aganoconsulting.com
Agano Consulting Inc.;  www.aganoconsulting.com; Twitter: nmatunda;  Skype: okiambe
Be prepared to face ICT Security failures & know how to respond when they happen!
Call: +1-888-587-1150 or info at aganoconsulting.com

"A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk I have a workstation…" - Anonymous
This e-mail, including attachments, may be privileged and may contain confidential or proprietary information intended only for the addressee(s). Any other distribution, copying, use, or disclosure is unauthorized and strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and permanently delete the message, including any attachments, without making a copy. Thank you.