[kictanet] Why It's Wrong For Kenya To Try Pac ifying Angry Bashir-reality check

bitange at jambo.co.ke bitange at jambo.co.ke
Wed Dec 7 13:15:31 EAT 2011

Walubengo,
Here is what I think.

Technology can indeed help solve many of the problems that you refer to as pure ranting.  Problems are actually opportunities.  Imagine if we create an application that automatically sends an SMS to KPLC every time the power goes off.  Another application to read the meter and synchronize it with billing such that the customer gets an alert before disconnection.  Develop a querry system to compare bills from the local area.  Use geo-sensing to determine consumption patterns.

This is how we can create efficiencies and create jobs.  We can also clean our environment by use of clean power.  Our sewage in Kariobamngi is a good source for biogas.  We can use it too to water the Muthaiga Golf course.

As I write this we are discussing how big data can impact policy.  Our foreign policy needs to come from evidence base, that is big data on trade, environment, diplomacy.  We need data to inform us the long term effect to our national interests if we vary any of the variables stated.  Big data analytics is pure IT but formulation of relevant variables is politicking.

We cannot hide behind our inadequacies.  What we need are volunteers to take any debate here and relate it to IT and how technology can help solve the problem.  This is the basis of innovation.  It is dangerous to avoid confronting issues.

Steve Jobs died before making discoveries on technology and speech.  Our failure to critically this how technology can help reduce hate messages will hurt us in the days to come.  We are not even able to condemn bad content yet we promote content as a driver of ICT growth.

Kictanet has just requested to have Mugo as guest discussant yet ICT is a small aspect of the Vision.

In my view you need a radical review of this noble initiative.  Our discussions must lead to some specific objective.  We can use the forum to spur innovation.  Simple issues like cost of broadband, customer service and other mundane issues  will not impact on our desired future (that is if we all understand it but I leave Mugo to articulate it).

Have a wonderful day.

Ndemo.

Sent from my BlackBerry®