[kictanet] Why It’s Wrong For Kenya To Try Pac ifying Angry Bashir

Info info at amwik.org
Wed Dec 7 10:12:34 EAT 2011

My two cent contribution to this discussion is that one, we should be open minded and receive divergent issues without resulting to making demeaning statements about the contributors. Everybody is entitled to their points of view as articulated in our constitution. No body’s arguments is the winning one and this forum is supposed to be a “market of ideas” which we can all contribute to with decorum.

The other thing and this is my perspective is that Africa must start to define what democracy is all about without looking to the west because as Winston Churchill observed, democracy was seen as a good option just because other forms of leadership had been tested and weaknesses emerged while the concept of democracy was largely new and  untested during his times (historians can correct me on this). I have a very strong reservation to what the west want to prescribe to all and sundry with little respect that other contexts and structures  had been in existence and working. Just because they may have had inherent weakness do not however subjugate them.  In fact, the reasons why our leaders are in problems is because they have tried to ape western leadership principles without a thorough understanding of them and their contexts, and of course there is the pressure to conform. My take is that unless we change our strategies, we will continue to fail miserably.

When western powers invade other countries that is viewed as acceptable yet when African states try to assist their fellow “continent” mates like what Kenya and the other African troops is doing in Somali, it is demonized. I strongly believe that circumstances presented Kenya with an opportunity to assist the Somali govt and not purely because our tourists were attacked. Whether the operation will be successful or not, only time will time but at least what’s critical is that efforts have been made whether belatedly or otherwise.

What also troubles me is the way the West will push in their cronies to power in Africa just to ensure that their strategic interests are taken care off with no respect of what the citizens really want. Yet we applause for being democratic! For those have lived abroad, truth be told that there is just a pretext of respect for human rights especially for minorities and other marginalized communities. Even the citizenry struggle to make ends meet as life is so expensive.

Coming to the media, a lot is expected and the media should be balanced in presenting the different narratives, being critical of what’s happening locally but also what is happening abroad. Its unfortunate that the western media see nothing good from Africa and when I look at our local media, it appears to most of the time be giving credence to that. Of course our training is western oriented but am challenging ourselves to stretch ourselves a little more and be contextual and relevant in our approach.

As a I have mentioned earlier, let’s keep this discussion healthy and lively and maybe from some of the ideas shared here, it could actually inform/influence our thinking and work positively.

Jane