[kictanet] Possible Spam : RE: Mugo Kibati: our first guest discussant

Harry Delano harry at comtelsys.co.ke
Wed Dec 7 09:30:05 EAT 2011

Hey Grace,

Thanks, actually I share your sentiment, and have been on the website
checking out the Key pillars and the enablers

Dear Mr. Mugo Kibati,

As a vision for this country, we congratulate the team for being bold. I
believe the forum here  will focus heavily on the

ICT Sub-sector. But, just as the Vision 2030 correctly correlates
interdependence between different projects on the map,

we will not hesitate to point out that ICT needs the rest as enablers, just
as the rest needs it.

My first question is, what are the clear bench marks to achieve the stated
vision for the country, looking at the project

pillars listed?  How do we measure and audit achievements to date to
ascertain whether this ship is on course..?

I note that, under the Macro Enablers section, the project in which we have
had keen interest falls under the heading

" <http://www.vision2030.go.ke/index.php/projects/details/Macro_enablers/2>
Energy Generation of 2300MW and distributed at competitive prices"

While the endeavor towards generation of enough power, for adequate,
quality, reliable and affordable energy is

laudable and ongoing, we urgently need to address the question of
"distribution" of the same to go lock-in-step

with these valiant efforts.

I believe Energy distribution should be listed as a "Macro-Enabler", then
this way we can now address the question

of the monopolized aspect of it that currently is almost crippling and
reducing the project to naught, at the expense

of progress in other project areas.

Left unchecked, a monopolized energy distribution network on which
everything else hinges as we go forward, could

as well be equated to a "national security disaster-in-awaiting". Can the
team review the objectives in this area to focus

heavily on this aspect also, and propose, pursue and lobby unrelentingly
towards a de-monopolized energy distribution

design. Let this nation have the benefit of redundancy in this area. Short
of this, we are left at the mercy of the current

national distributor. At the very best, it remains a cog in the wheel of
this Vision2030.

I would wish to draw the team Vision2030 to the tremendous success that
we've all witnessed in the Telecommunication

subsector, since liberalization was introduced from around 2002/3 and
competitiveness brought about the huge

dividends that we now reap. We herald this as one of the greatest turning
points in this industry. Let's go that route in

the energy subsector.

End of my first presentation.

Harry