[kictanet] Why It’s Wrong For Kenya To Try Pac ifying Angry Bashir

Andrea Bohnstedt andrea.bohnstedt at ratio-magazine.com
Tue Dec 6 13:45:30 EAT 2011

Dear all,

I think David Makali made a number of very good points, including:

   - 'The Kenya constitution clearly stipulates that “the general rules of
   international law shall form part of the law of Kenya” and further, that
   “any treaty or convention ratified by Kenya (such as the Rome Statute)
   shall form part of the law of Kenya law (2)'
   - 'Kenya’s rightful policy should be support to the people of Sudan, not
   necessarily its contested leadership, which Mr Wetangula and the Kenya
   government have elected to suck up to.'
   - 'It is unfortunate that the government should be speaking out of turn
   with our new Supreme Law and the reality of the new Kenya. It should tone
   down its panicky diplomatic rhetoric and refer the matter to the Attorney
   General to pen a polite notes verbates to el Bashir regretting that there
   is nothing that can be done about the court order and advice him to turn up
   at The Hague to clear his name or avoid visiting us.

This isn't about foreign media - that's a weak argument and a red herring,
because it doesn't address what David actually said.

I found it distasteful how Kenya's government representatives hurried up to
appease a man who is sought for mass murder. But what I think or don't
think doesn't matter, because this is a legal decision:

A Kenyan judge ruled that under its current constitution and international
laws that Kenya committed to, the country is obliged to arrest Bashir when
he enters Kenya. The only way around this is, I assume, a new court case
that would would come to a different conclusion on what Kenya's legal
obligations are.

If you don't want to get into that whole brouhaha, there are subtle ways of
addressing this as many other countries have done - they told Bashir
informally, and discretely, that regrettably he can't visit/if he attends a
function, their president won't/their president won't sit next to him (I
can't find the article with a fun list of country examples that did just
this).

Also, I was wondering if we could please generally go back to ICT topics
for this list, as someone had earlier asked?

Asante everyone,
Andrea

On 6 December 2011 13:21, samuel ochanji <sochanji at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Daktari, I completely agree with you on this. Our media does not set the
> agenda on global events/issues and give a Kenyan or an African perspective
> on these issues. Instead it simply regurgitates whatever the global media
> provides us with.Anything from CNN or New York Times is the default
> position of the Kenyan media.

Andrea Bohnstedt <http://ke.linkedin.com/in/andreabohnstedt>
Publisher
+254 720 960 322

www.ratio-magazine.com
Find/post East Africa careers<http://www.ratio-magazine.com/careers/index.php>
Find/post conferences, workshops, trainings, other business
events<http://www.ratio-magazine.com/businessevents/index.php>