[kictanet] [Skunkworks] <OT> : No Electricity, No Fuel, No Cooking gas! I need my hot coffee or need some answers.....

Ali Hussein info at alyhussein.com
Tue Dec 6 05:20:06 EAT 2011

I think we should borrow the learnings from the Telco sector and use them to liberalize the energy sector.

As for the rot in our society I'm afraid that is still a Journey long to be travelled. Let us not however despair as a journey of a thousand miles starts with one step.

Dr. Ndemo, the fact that a senior Govt official can also go without power for two weeks tells me (in a cynical kind of way...) that we have at least 'democratized' non-delivery of services.

Wariga, I partially agree with your assertion that Government should be involved in power distribution/generation. A dose of the private sector will also help. I believe the way forward is to have a competitor to KP. You can't liberalise a sector and then only have one distributor - its nonsensical and defeats the whole purpose of liberalization.

Dr.Ndemo gave us a lesson a few weeks ago about the need for redundancy in the availability of power and how critical it is to the economic development of any country.  We cannot belabor that point further.

So the question is what do we do going forward?

I have abit of a contrarian view. Not everything is lost. I would also like us to celebrate our small victories so that we can be encouraged to continue moving forward and contribute to making this country great.

Nation building must be tempered by personal sacrifice. The rights of a few must be sometimes sacrificed so that the many can have more rights. BUT as we do this we must ensure that our Core - the Operating System - is virus free. Free from foreign disruptive objects, from infections both self inflicted and the ones introduced by others.

The biggest problem I believe facing us is the total breakdown in our systems of differentiating good from bad. This is part of the operating system I'm talking about. As Tom Friedman put it in his book, the world is flat, if your operating system is corrupted how do you even get into the computer to access your productivity tools like word, excel and the rest?

I'm afraid if we don't fix this then all the gains we have made - freedom of speech, liberalizing our economy so that for example 60+ percent of Kenyans have access to mobile phones will be for nought.

Ali Hussein
Managing Partner
Azania Technology Group
+254 773/713 601113