[kictanet] "Nokia boss quits as regional office moves to Jo’Burg"

Brian Munyao Longwe blongwe at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 13:13:57 EAT 2011

Yes, I guess I mixed up the two entities. But it seems to be consistent
across the group as Nokia this week announced a projected "co-determination
talks affecting some 7,000 employees worldwide" and the aim to reduce
operating expenses by 1 million Euro.

http://www.hs.fi/english/article/WEDNESDAY+Nokia+announces+job+reductions+and+outsourcing+of+7000+employees+worldwide/1135265686076

http://www.hs.fi/english/article/Nokia+seeks+to+soften+blow+of+job+cuts/1135265715980

What I find interesting though, is their strategy of hiving off some
personnel to Accenture in what seems like a move to heavily outsource
personnel from Accenture in India, Great Britain, China, Finland and the
USA.

Best regards,

Brian

On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 9:04 AM, Njoroge Tito <titonjoroge at gmail.com> wrote:

> Brian,
>
> Nokia and Nokia Siemens Networks (NSN) are slightly separate entities.
> Nokia does the mobile phone business (selling phones to end users) while
> NSN is concerned with telco network infrastructure.
>
> My understanding is that this affects the Nokia office, not NSN. I stand
> to be corrected though..
>
> Regards,
> Titus
>
> On 30 November 2011 21:06, Brian Munyao Longwe <blongwe at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Might be part of the "global restructuring" announced last week in which
>> they plan to lay off 17,000 staff by 2013 - and "realign its business to
>> focus on mobile broadband (including optical), customer experience
>> management and services." From the Business Daily article it sounds like
>> it's not only the CEO who's "resigned".
>>

>> http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/23/nokia-siemens-to-cut-17-000-jobs-as-part-of-global-restructuring/
>>

>> Best regards,
>>
>> Brian
>>
>> On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 3:58 PM, Dennis Kioko <dmbuvi at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> It also came as a shock to me , seeing the push with which Nokia staff
>>> has been working with to push their devices in the region. As foster says,
>>> Samsung and other manufacturers are pushing for Nokia's stake, and I wonder
>>> how a Sales office will tackle the likes of Tecno who have branded whole
>>> streets in downtown Nairobi.
>>>
>>> Blackberry is also in the process of establishing a local office.
>>>
>>> SonyEricsson and Motorola have pulled out from region with the former
>>> now trying to make inroads back.

>> --
>> Brian Munyao Longwe
>> e-mail: blongwe at gmail.com