[kictanet] Craft Silicon - Need for a case study

robert yawe robertyawe at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Aug 30 09:18:49 EAT 2011

Hi,

I had the privilege of attending a presentation by Kamal, the founder the CEO of Craft Silicon which was an eye opener.

In under 10 years Kamal has gone from being a fresh immigrant, in a rented room that acted both as his residence come office and individual developer with one client to a citizen, a company owned corporate head quarters and an organisation of over 250 employees with 400 plus large corporate clients spread over 40 countries across 3 continents.

From his story Kenya is the real land of opportunity, so what is it that we lack as Wanainchi, why do we look for solutions and opportunities externally yet when others look in they see us sitting on piles of Gold?

We need to document and recognise great achievements, Craft Silicon receives less than 40% of its revenue from Kenya the rest is from exports so why do we keep trying to recreate the wheel instead of learning from those who have overcome local hurdles and become successful.

Yes, as I sat there listening to Kamal thousands of such questions kept shooting through my mind, why have I not been able to achieve even a tenth of what he has achieved?  I believe it might be the comfort of being "home" as if all fails the worst that can happen is for me to relocate by bus or even on foot to my ancestral home.

So the critical question is how do we develop the hunger that Kamal had when he used his life savings to buy an air ticket back from India after he had been deported?  I will not pretend to know the answer and instead I ask you out there do you have the answer?

Regards

Robert Yawe
KAY System Technologies Ltd
Phoenix House, 6th Floor