[kictanet] Identity.go.ke not working August 22, 2011

Odhiambo Washington odhiambo at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 17:35:37 EAT 2011

On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 16:40, Andrea Bohnstedt <
andrea.bohnstedt at ratio-magazine.com> wrote:

> Bit of afternoon googling.
>
> There's this:
> http://www.e-government.go.ke/
>
> It helpfully also has a link to the online tracking of IDs and passports -
> which doesn't work, as we have learned earlier.
>
> In principle, it's set up to co-ordinate IT issues across government
> bodies, and has quite a comprehensive list of functions. Here:
>
> http://www.e-government.go.ke/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=96&Itemid=135
>
> *1. Update of e-Government Strategy*
> *2. Interactive Voice Response Service
> 3. Government Messaging and Collaborative System (EMACS)**
> *
> *4. ICT Support*
> *5. Primary Data Centre *
> *6. Enhancement of Ministries Website Portal*
> *7. Implementation of e-Applications*.**
> *8. Capacity Development on ICT***
> *9. Development of Information Infrastructure *
>
> And this is the institutional framework:
> An institutional framework and structure is in place to oversee and
> coordinate the implementation of the e-Government Strategy. At the apex is
> the cabinet Committee on ICT which oversees the implementation of the
> Strategy; the Permanent Secretaries ICT Committee which coordinates the
> implementation of the e-Government initiative; and e-Government Committees
> in the Ministries which reviews the various ICT projects in the Ministries,
> undertake audit of the IT capacity, establish support to the ministry’s
> policy mandate, identify gaps and inadequacies both technical and
> institutional and make appropriate recommendations on the way forward. The
> Directorate of e-Government coordinates and prepares the e-Government
> Strategy including the implementation plan and monitoring and evaluation of
> the process. The Government is committed to make e-Government a reality and
> to ensure that it provide better service to Kenyans.

Some folks, very comfortable in their cocoons, enjoying task-payers' money!
I see no need for myriad committees duplicating each others  roles. I see a
situation where e-gov directorate comprises a bunch that sit and do nothing,
waiting for X-committee to do XYZ. Remember those days of govt employees
who'd come to the office and hang their coats on their seats then disappear
no God-knows-where? That age is still very much here with us. If e-gov
directorate was overseeing the others, I believe Dr. Rigia would not have
had issues with a dysfunctional website/messaging system.
It's very easy to put down what you (should) do on paper. It's a completely
different ballgame doing it. That's how I see it -- in this case.
Looking at their Organogram below:

What is the purpose/role of the Ministerial ICT Committees? Isn't it just a
stumbling block on the way to e-gov Directorate that creates an unnecessary
supervision stage?
Anyway, this is what we have. Perhaps what I need to ask is how we can
improve it, and what role there is for an outsider to play, apart from give
feedback.

--
Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,