[kictanet] Bitange for President? Further Extension!

Bitange Ndemo bndemo at information.go.ke
Sun Aug 21 15:53:19 EAT 2011

Muraya,

This is a difficult question but one that we have hope will be sorted
out with the revamped Judiciary.  In effect we are on the rtight path in
dealing with this vice.   It is not just grand corruption.  Corruption
of any kind is not good for the economy.  It is estimated that we waste
in excess of Ksh. 50 billion to inefficient procurement system.  We must
automate in order to close some of these loopholes.  It is frustrating
that the issue of corruption keeps on cropping up every time we have an
election.  I am encouraged by the requirement of those who will serve at
the new Independent Electoral Commission.  If you saw the advert, it
clearly states that applicants must not have been mentioned in any of
the past scandals.   This is what we need for Presidential hopefuls as a
minimum.

It will serve as a deterrence for any future corruption.  We also need
clarity from KACC if there will be amnesty for those who return public
property.  I hear many want to return.  This will at least help salvage
what is left.  I do not know if there is any one on the list from
Western Kenya since they have dealt a big blow to thieves by somehow
making them eat grass.  If this discovery in Western is scalable, we can
effectively use it to get all those who stole from the public.

Remember I said that if any future government must reestablish trust
with the citizens.  This will not come overnight but actions taken
especially on the corrupt shall help restore this.  The GoK has done a
commendable job in dealing with the hunger crisis in the north but due
to mistrust by the media and the public in general, it has only received
kicks of a donkey (Asante ya Punda ni mateke).

I want to disagree with you that we have failed as a state.  What we
have not done is consistently trying to close loopholes of corruption
through automation.  This is what most governments have done that we
have not done.  People are equally corrupt world over.  What makes a
difference is learning the mistakes and correcting them.

Regards

Ndemo.