[kictanet] Commodity Exchange Platform

aki aki275 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 21:07:46 EAT 2011

Thank you to those who responded. I've checked out the sites and seem
excellent.  :-)

However, I then went forward to do a bit more research into why the above
kenyan sites which are commodity processes have not suceeded in coming close
to solving the problem that we see with one very controversial cash crop i.e
Maize. And just further checks of the data available shows that this
industry is a web of complex and intense happenings.

Data shows that since 1997, we have not exported Maize because we just
produce enough to fulfill internal demand, and there are shortages each
year, depending on the climate. I'm now even more interested to know and
understand why farmers sell to NCPB in a liberalized market while millers
can directly buy from farmers. Even if say NCPB ingored the drought warning
as early as they were in january, why did Millers not stock up? Do millers
have the capacity to stock pile, and what is the shelf life of dried maize?
 Is the current shortages or price increases caused by farmers by holding
onto to stocks to get better pricing ( NCPB will now pay Ksh 3000/- per bag
) while in January the same bag was at around Ksh 1450?

I now think no matter what ICT system we put in place, its success will
depend on whether the core problems of the sector have been looked into.

I continue with my research and corrections are welcome.

Thank you.

Rgds.