[kictanet] Bitange for President? Extended due to Public Demand

Denis G. Wahome dwahome at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 15:59:18 EAT 2011

Observation,

Many times on this forum and others we see many ISP/Telco
clients complaining about poor service or service providers either not
giving SLA agreements or not able to comply to the terms. Among the main
reason you will find the failure is mostly at the physical layer (cables and
wires) . Many times the ISP claim either sabotage, accidental cuts by
construction crew and machinery etc. yet in many cases we find fibre optic
cabling either installed poorly on poles or buried under a foot of dirt
below a slab along the streets.

Would it not be better to plan for design and install proper
Telecommunication Facilities, after all are not banking on
solid communication infrastructure for ICT in our Vision 2030 moving
forward?

For instance this would have been a wonderful opportunity to have a
proper facility for fibre from Nairobi to Thika and branching off along the
way as Chinese firms build-out the highway. I am thinking more along a
shared facility that can be easily secured and maintained. Failure to plan
for this now I fear will leave us with Data Centres accessed via "strings"
running the most cutting edge applications and services :-)

Regards,