[kictanet] Bitange for President? DrivingKnowledgeEconomy?OnlineInterviewwith PS Ndemo

robert yawe robertyawe at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Aug 8 18:34:37 EAT 2011

Daktari,

I can feel the frustrations, with the new constitution and the county structure
is it possible that you could find out which alternative locations would have
been ideal for the Aerotropolis.  We are in a competitive environment and like
the world cup or Olympics lets put the site out to competitive bidding, have
FedEx and Boeing give the various locations then have the various counties
present their proposals.

From previous posts from me there is no doubt that I strongly believe that Konza
and its environs are too close to Nairobi to have a sufficiently large ripple
effect we need a true greenfield location like Isiolo, Taveta or any other such
location which is at least 150+ kilometres from Nairobi.  The Chinese built a 42
kilometres long bridge over water why cant we build a 500 kilometre road or
railway line to this new location?

Daktari, I hope if you where to become President you would blaze a new path that
is not held hostage by short sighted Nairobian's who believe that a development
of 16 flats on a half acre of land is a major achievement.  Such people will
never fathom a project on 5 acres leave alone 20,000 acres, so as Harry asked is
there any way we can directly interact with FedEx or Boeing as private citizens?

On the issue of unemployment I agree with you on the shallow minded nature of
the unions in this country due to a myopic leadership.  I can remember the issue
of a minimum wage for domestic workers being brought up in 1973 when I was still
a lad, so when the issue is raised in 2011 and made to seem like a new thing I
just laugh.

When we can discipline the Matatus then maybe this country has some hope and in
addition we need to move the middle class to the next level by enforcing the
minimum wage for domestic workers.  It makes no sense why a person earning
10,000/- needs to have a domestic worker to clean a single room with an earthen
floor or why a person staying in a 2 bedroom flat in Kileleshwa needs a
permanent domestic worker.

By enforcing the minimum wage we shall be forced to automate certain tasks such
as washing by utilising washing machines, disk washers and laundry services.  If
we pull it off right the minimum domestic worker wage will create a local
assembly industry for the said equipment which will then need to be installed,
serviced and repaired a task for a high calibre employee.

Our university students will be able to take on domestic jobs coupled with
tutoring for those high income earners as the pay will be lucrative enough.
 Serviced apartments will flourish from Dandora to Kileleshwa and beyond which
will mean that the domestic workers will be assimilated but with better pay and
terms than they would get when employed by a single family/individual.

2 of my partners and I put together a consortium that built a shopping mall in
Nanyuki that gives a better return than if we had put it up in Nairobi.  Let us
all stop clustering around Nairobi like moths to a light we need to soar far and
wide across the country and evangelise capitalism.

But so long as we stay close to the core we shall be no better than those who
came before us which would mean that even if Dr. Ndemo became President he would
fail miserably as he will have no one who shares his passion and drive to uplift
the livelihood of the majority of Kenyan's instead as he is seated at the front
of the proverbial bus driving you and I will be in the back pickpocketing and
"ngetaring" the passengers.

I hope this gives me a shot at getting a Presidential appointment when you
ascend to the Presidency.

Robert YaweKAY System Technologies Ltd
Phoenix House, 6th Floor
P O Box 55806 Nairobi, 00200