[kictanet] Bitange for President? Driving Knowledge Economy? OnlineInterview with PS Ndemo

Suhayl Esmailjee suhayl at esmailjee.com
Thu Aug 4 14:37:45 EAT 2011

Dear Dr Ndemo

I would like to know a couple of things:-

(a) How will you stimulate and ensure that the biggest benefactor and user
of ICT, the Government, and who in turn would be a huge benefitor to
wananchi by availing the various services and benefits that you have
expounded on, embraces/uses national ICT infrastructure and platforms
optimally (even minimally to start with)

 (b) How will you align all government agencies to utilise single or common
national ICT infrastructure/platforms to avoid the duplication (triplication
and quadruplication too) of efforts by many to develop several similar
initiatives each to their own end.

An example will make my point lear:-

- Government owns huge stake in TEAMS. How many government agencies are
utilising or hooked to it and using it properly
- Is Kenya Police connected extensively (to itself and other key agencies)
- NOFBI: How many government and govt affiliated offices are on it and those
who are, how are they maximising their use
- When will we see the end of web based email addresses (yahoo, gmail etc)
as emails to key or all public servants

The point I am making is that the largest user of ICT is the Government,
however the services it utilises currently run on disparate platforms with
no common theme or link thus making redundant a lot of these platforms. Then
some just dont have even the basic of services and others have the facility
and do not use it all.

Your views?

Regards

SE